Friday 7 December 2012

Final Blog …

            Wow I can’t believe the semester is over with. Classes are done.. one final celebration on Monday for two hours then the academic part is done and all that’s left is placement. Time really flies; I was just getting the hang of things too. This is the last cultural issues and diversity blog that I will ever write! This semester has been a tough but fun one. I got the chance to hear about new things, to share new cultural experiences, to participate in new things, to be pushed out of my comfort zone, to be in the middle of something different, and to learn. I think the times that I was most uncomfortable were where a lot of learning took place. This semester was very hands on, and I’m glad I got the chance to experience it. I know I will see more in the field but it was a good class to help start my career in the future.


            There were many different experiences that helped me to learn and grow. I also think back on them quite a bit without even knowing it. When I went for my placement interview I found myself thinking about the Freedom Writers movie, activities they did, their experiences, and what I had to offer. I really enjoyed that movie and I feel that I took a lot from it, activity wise and her attitude on the situation. It showed me that you can make a difference; it just depends on how you approach the situation. Another class experience that I think about is when we had he quest speakers talk to us about LGBTQ youth and people in the community. That presentation stuck with me and I think about it quite a bit. I have a friend that posts LGBTQ rights photo’s a lot and it reminds me of that. I think that all the “it gets better” videos are pretty creative and a great resource for youth and people that need them. They are also very inspirational videos.
            The assignments in this class also helped me a lot and made me realize what I was capable of and who I was. For one assignment we had to talk about our culture and it gave me a better idea of who I am and where I come from. I hope to expand on my experiences and culture experiences. I want to travel the world. Next year I am going to the Dominican which will be a big change for me since I have never been more than 3 hours away from my home. Another assignment was that out of my cultural comfort zone. That assignment put me through so much hassle. Everything that I could do was either to far out of my comfort zone or not far enough out. I will normally do anything new but I need someone to do it with me, I won’t do it on my own. I tried to find someone to go with but it was harder than I thought. I ended going t a church on my road that I have never been to but always was curious about. I thought it was very good for my learning and am going back to it with my brother on Sundays. He took to it very well and decided he wanted to go every Sunday. Being in a small community made it easier to feel welcome and accepted in the church. I also learned a lot about the different cultures through presentations in class and through my own group presentation. Last week we also had a guest speaker come in and talk to us about homeless youth and helping them. I have witnessed many of my cousins go through this and I was very interested to hear her perspective and to hear her talk about the topic.
We went on a couple field trips this semester. We went to the Quinte Mohawk School and got a chance to experience their harvest celebration, and we went to Sir James Whitney which is a school for individuals who are deaf and got to experience and learn about the deaf community .Visiting the Quinte Mohawk School gave me a chance to experience culture that I have already been experienced to but in a new way. I have been around my dad’s friends who are of aboriginal decent a lot as a child. My dad’s side of the family would live off the land and built good relationships on the reserve. I spent some of my child hood around their culture. I thought it was neat to see it in a CYW perspective and in a school setting. The discussion we had in class after the trip was amazing. I liked hearing everyone’s perspectives on the school and the system opposed to the Public schools that some of us when to. I am interested in this culture and have started to do different things and venture out to learn more about it. Today we went to Sir James Whitney; it was an amazing school and made me want to learn ASL even more. I am really thinking about taking classes and might do that next year when I go back to school. We took a tour and I was fascinated watching Aaron sign, I tried to relate what the interpreter was saying to what he was signing. I thought the school was beautiful and would love to go back there at some point. In High school and even now I’m fascinated with ASL. I would watch this guy on YouTube who would sign songs. I watched all of his songs multiple times and I had most of them memorized. Every time the song would come on the radio I would sing the song and people would look at me like I was crazy. I didn’t care but sometimes I would stop because I don’t like people staring. If I relied on sign I think I would be self conscious that people are watching me, and the thoughts that they are thinking before they even know me. Today at the school someone asked who all knew sign and I felt left out cause I didn’t really know it that well, but I am interested in learning it and intend to as some point. I had an amazing time today at the school, and learnt a lot about the deaf community and about Aaron and his perspectives.


This is a newer one of the videos of him signing a song, I chose this song because it has a good meaning.

This semester has been a pretty interesting one. I plan to continue my learning of the many cultures throughout the years with the ways that I have listed already. For the most art I’m going to try and experience anything that is available and interesting to me. I remember in one class we did a case study on a family where they were using the medicine stick on the child. I found that very interesting and it helped me to realize that we are all different and what is acceptable in one culture may be illegal or dangerous in another. You have to be open to different cultures and willing to learn about their culture and to teach them about yours if it is necessary or they are interested in it. It has been a pretty good three year in the course.. I’m going to miss everyone and the teachers. I enjoyed this class and found it really relevant to our learning it shows us just a small piece of the many cultures that are in the world, but teaches us how to embrace them properly, with knowledge and learning.
This quote can be used to sum up the experiences throughout this class. In situations that you aren’t familiar with, it’s your choice to turn on the light and embrace it or be left in the dark.


Thank-you, and Good-bye!
Sincerely, Lindsey H J


No comments:

Post a Comment