Thursday 4 October 2012

Blog #1 – Guest Speaker (Week 4)

      Last class we had a guest speaker come in and talk to us about our career, and his experiences in the field. Andy was an amazing speaker and he had lots of interesting stories to tell us about his time as a CYW. The way he sees his job was a very inspiring and unique way. Andy owns a group home with 80-100 beds for Aboriginal youth that are in need of care and support. He talked about how he goes to their communities and brings these youth back with him. He described himself as a big click junkie, which instead of ignoring “f**k you!” from the youth he would respond positively to it. He described it as they are used to needing something and getting pain as a response then the “click” where they would relate need to pain. He tries to see their need and respond with nurture to get the “click”. That way he can change it so that the youth after a while will relate need to nurture. He also told us that the moment is everything, act in that moment. He also said that Curiosity is the best skill that you could have as a CYW because we aren’t curious about things that we don’t care about. Before Andy left he said “Fiercely guard your passion for what you want to do. Don’t let anyone rob you of your passion; it helps you make the stupid choices”. He was referring to the choices that you act on before you think about them, and eventually have a positive outcome. He also said “Fiercely guard your compassion, your compassion allows “the click” and sees the “f**k you” as a bid”. It was a very good experience and I took a lot away from it. Listening to Andy speak will help me out in my future career as a Child and Youth Worker. I felt that he gave really good advice, and intrigued me in his area of work.


      While I was listening to him talk I started to think about the aboriginal communities. I started wondering what their traditions, customs, and beliefs are so I decided to look it up. I found this link was the most interesting, and had a lot of relevant information on it. http://firstpeoplesofcanada.com/fp_groups/fp_groups_overview.html  This link talks about the historical overview, the trade, their government, their religion, and much more. I found their government the most interesting. The first nations had a complex social system which had different levels of government that was based on family, clan, or the tribe/nation. The chiefs of leaders where always people with special leadership qualities that brought respect from their people. In most tribes there is a council of elders who advise the chief. They would discuss a matter of importance and then make a decision that the majority agreed on. From what I have read the aboriginal people are very caring and considerate of our earth and each other. As Andy talked about, they don’t know how to help the youth that act out. The best they can think to do is leave them behind to fend for their self. I find their way of living and beliefs very interesting. While I was looking online I came across a healing song, at first I was like "this can't be to interesting it’s just a girl standing there with a drum". As she started and the song played on I was mesmerized and couldn’t even look away. I found it very fascinating and I have posted the video down below.
                 
                 Have a good week, until nex time :)             

No comments:

Post a Comment